Welter, an AV-rated national employment law firm, seeks qualified paralegals with litigation experience to work as full-time litigation paralegals. The firm has an active national employment litigation practice in federal and state court and serves clients from three offices nationwide.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Use firm technology to organize, index and oversee maintenance all file documents.
- Initiate and maintain docketing within Firm’s CompuLaw system and monitor trial calendars.
- Create, update and maintain West Case Notebook and Case Logistix databases.
- Court filings: Work with attorneys to finalize court documents for filing and service. File documents with the applicable court using CM/ECF, One Legal, and attorney services.
- Create, bind and distribute copies of filings to other parties, the internal file, and the court. Organize the briefs, exhibits and appendices.
- Organize documents and coordinate document productions: Conduct the Bates-stamping, redaction, duplication and indexing of documents. Work on electronic productions. Under the guidance of an attorney, categorize documents by subject matter, prepare a chronology of facts, create production charts and annotate documents in Case Notebook.
- Maintain internal case databases, conduct document searches and factual research: Help maintain internal case databases, run searches on internal and external document databases and systems, cull relevant information from a variety of resources such as newspapers, magazines, libraries, case documents and trade associations.
- Draft shell pleadings, discovery documents, subpoenas, position statements and cover letters.
- Prepare witness and matter materials for case preparation: Organize interview memos, digests and other relevant documents for attorney review, deposition preparation and case preparation.
- Motion practice: Pull relevant documents, proofread papers, organize exhibits and create document indices in the preparation of motion filing.
- Act as liaison among various internal departments as well as with outside agencies: Order and oversee the progress of the service of subpoenas and the production of documents to deposition officer. Oversee the progress of documents through litigation support departments. Order transcripts from reporting services and fulfill requests from outside counsel and others.
- Prepare for and attend trials: Organize exhibits, files and all other supporting documents, coordinate trial set-up and logistics, assist attorneys in the courtroom by taking notes, handling exhibits, and marking documents referred to by counsel, assist in the preparation of witness testimony and serve as liaison between trial attorneys and in-house staff.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Prior experience as a litigation paralegal or litigation assistant, including experience in supporting attorneys during all phases of the litigation process.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Prior experience using, importing, and managing files in Case Notebook or Case Logistix or similar litigation management and document review software/database (such as Relativity, Concordance, and Summation).
- Prior experience with electronic docketing applications (such as CompuLaw).
- Prior experience with court filings on CM/ECF and with California state courts.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite applications (including Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel), Adobe Acrobat, Westlaw, and other internet research tools.
- Preferred prior experience with Aderant Total Office or similar legal software.
- Ability to learn quickly and apply principles of technology to new software.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Capacity to handle case load of several attorneys with competing and aggressive deadlines, under minimal supervision.
- Ability to set own priorities and be self-motivated.
- Preferred understanding of the discovery process relative to ESI collection, processing and management.
The ideal candidate will have a four year degree or equivalent and at least 3-5+ years of relevant work experience in an in-house legal department or law firm which includes progressive responsibility in managing litigation matters. Paralegal Certificate or training is desirable but not required.
Paralegals may be hired to support attorneys in any one of the firm’s locations. The firm’s offices are located as follows:
- Virginia Office – Located in Herndon, VA (Greater Washington, D.C.)
- Texas Office – Located in Austin, TX
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and relevant credentials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration. No phone calls please.
About Welter: Welter Law Firm is an AV-rated employment law firm that represents and advises leading national and regional employers on all aspects of the employment relationship. Our President, Eric Welter, left a large international law firm in 2000 to found the firm. His driving passion was to establish a law firm that provides top quality legal representation in a cost-effective manner to leading clients. To learn more, please visit www.welterlaw.com.