About Eric A. Welter
Eric A. Welter is the founder and president of Welter Law Firm (Welter). Eric left one of the largest law firms in the country in 2000 to found the firm. His driving passion was to establish a law firm that provides top quality legal representation to companies in a cost-effective manner.
Eric is an experienced trial lawyer who has represented national corporations in complex litigation, including class actions, involving a wide range of employment law, public accommodations and business issues. His practice focuses on employment law and litigation of employment-related disputes.
Eric’s business litigation practice includes representing organizations in cases involving commercial and franchise disputes, business torts, breach of contract claims, enforcement of confidentiality, nonsolicitation and noncompete agreements and trade secret misappropriation cases.
Eric also counsels and represents executives in contract negotiations and disputes.
- Welter Law Firm, P.C., Herndon, Virginia, 2002-present.
- Welter Law Firm, P.A., Edina, Minnesota, 2000-2001.
- Hunton & Williams, McLean, Virginia, 1999.
- Reed Smith Shaw & McClay LLP, McLean, Virginia, 1993-1999.
- Judicial Clerkship, Hon. Donald S. Russell, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1992-93.
- J.D., with honors, George Washington University School of Law, 1992.
- B.A., Economics, cum laude, Boston College, 1989.
Publications & Honors
- “AV” rated by Martindale-Hubbell™.
- Voted by peers as among the “Legal Elite: The Best Lawyers in Virginia” (Virginia Business) in 2013 and rated among the best Employment & Labor attorneys in the Washington, D.C. metro area (Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers) and in Virginia (Virginia Super Lawyers) (Selected 2006-2016). Super Lawyers is a Thomson Reuters service.
- At Large Representative, Equal Employment Opportunity Plan Committee, Loudoun County, Virginia (2006-2008).
- Contributor to Workplace Law News (Society for Human Resources Management)
- Legislative Representative, Fredericksburg Regional Society for Human Resources Management (2005-2010).
- Articles Editor, The George Washington Law Review.
- Note, The Shareholder Proposal Rule: A Change To Certainty, 60 Geo. Wash. L. Rev. 1980 (1992) (cited in New York City Employees’ Retirement Sys. v. S.E.C., 45 F.3d 7, 12 (2d Cir. 1995)).
- Virginia Bar Association (Member, Labor & Employment Section).
- Fairfax Bar Association (Chair, Employment Law Section 2004-2006; Program Director, Labor & Employment Section 2002-2004).
- Society for Human Resource Management (Member).
- Dulles Regional Chamber of Commerce (Member; Advocacy Committee 2011).
Admitted to Practice
- Virginia, District of Columbia, Maryland, Texas, California, Nebraska (inactive), Minnesota (inactive).
- United States Supreme Court.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth, Fifth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh and District of Columbia Circuits.
- United States District Courts for: the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia; the District of Maryland; the District of Columbia; the District of Colorado; the Eastern District of Michigan; the Central, Northern, and Southern Districts of California; the Northern and Western Districts of Texas.
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- USA Water Polo Referee (ODP Head Referee, NE Zone) and NCAA/Collegiate Water Polo Association referee.
Learn about other Welter attorneys