About Eric A. Welter
Eric A. Welter is the founder and president of Welter Law Firm. Eric is an experienced trial lawyer who has represented national corporations in complex litigation, including class actions, involving a wide range of employment law, public accommodation and business issues. His practice focuses on employment law and litigation of employment-related disputes, with a particular focus on high-stakes or complex multi-plaintiff cases.
Eric’s business litigation practice includes representing organizations in cases involving commercial and franchise disputes, business torts, breach of contract claims, enforcement of confidentiality, nonsolicitation and noncompete agreements and trade secret misappropriation cases.
Eric also counsels and represents executives in contract negotiations and disputes.
Eric is a Fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America (LCA). The LCA is a trial lawyer honorary society composed of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers. Fellowship in the LCA is highly selective and by invitation only. Fellows are selected based upon excellence and accomplishment in litigation, both at the trial and appellate levels, and superior ethical reputation.
- Welter Law Firm, P.C., Herndon, Virginia, 2002-present.
- Welter Law Firm, P.A., Edina, Minnesota, 2000-2001.
- Hunton & Williams, McLean, Virginia, 1999.
- Reed Smith Shaw & McClay LLP, McLean, Virginia, 1993-1999.
- Judicial Clerkship, Hon. Donald S. Russell, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1992-93.
- J.D., with honors, George Washington University School of Law, 1992.
- B.A., Economics, cum laude, Boston College, 1989.
Publications & Honors
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- “AV” rated by Martindale-Hubbell™.
- Voted by peers as among the “Legal Elite: The Best Lawyers in Virginia” (Virginia Business) in 2013
- Rated by Super Lawyers among the best Employment & Labor attorneys in the Washington, D.C. metro area (Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers) and in Virginia (Virginia Super Lawyers). Super Lawyers is a Thomson Reuters service.
- Virginia Super Lawyers (2006; 2008-2018)
- Washington DC Super Lawyers (2007; 2009-2018)
- Author, “The At-Will Employment Relationship,” Maryland Employment Law Deskbook (MSBA).
- At Large Representative, Equal Employment Opportunity Plan Committee, Loudoun County, Virginia (2006-2008).
- Contributor to Workplace Law News (Society for Human Resources Management)
- Legislative Representative, Fredericksburg Regional Society for Human Resources Management (2005-2010).
- Articles Editor, The George Washington Law Review.
- Note, The Shareholder Proposal Rule: A Change To Certainty, 60 Geo. Wash. L. Rev. 1980 (1992) (cited in New York City Employees’ Retirement Sys. v. S.E.C., 45 F.3d 7, 12 (2d Cir. 1995)).
- Virginia Bar Association (Member, Labor & Employment Section).
- Fairfax Bar Association (Chair, Employment Law Section 2004-2006; Program Director, Labor & Employment Section 2002-2004).
- Society for Human Resource Management (Member).
- Dulles Regional Chamber of Commerce (Member; Advocacy Committee 2011).
- Founder and Chairman, Abound in Hope Nigeria, Inc.
- USA Water Polo Referee (ODP Head Referee, NE Zone) (2010-2017)
- NCAA/Collegiate Water Polo Association referee (2010-2017)
Learn about other Welter attorneys